Thursday, April 23, 2015

Are Naps Good For You?

There is a misconception going on that napping is just for children and the elderly.   I think for us who enjoy to take naps shouldn't be marked with the stigma that we are lazy, unambitious, and lethargic!  It's been scientifically proven by experts that short naps during the day is actually quite productive particularly in instances where one didn't get a full night's rest.

According to sleepfoundation.org a short nap of 20-30 minutes long is recommended for short term alertness.

There are Pros and Cons to napping as will most things in life.

Positive Effects of Napping
  • Restores alertness
  • Enhances performance
  • Reduces stress
  • Reduces mistakes/accidents
  • Improves mood
Negative Effects of Napping
  • Grogginess
  • Disorientation
  • Interrupts nighttime sleep
The negative effects typically happens when one take a nap longer than 30 minutes.  If you find yourself taking regular naps and still fall hard asleep at night there might be a chance that you are experiencing sleep apnea which is a medical term for when one's sleep is interrupted in the middle of the night because they stop breathing.  If you think you might be experiencing this you should definitely consult your doctor about it as there is a machine that can you breathe more consistently while you sleep.

Of course naps are good for you but avoid taking such long ones because that will ruin your nighttime sleep.  You know who knows a lot about napping? My cat Percy.  Yes sir Percy loves to take naps he takes them constantly.  *sighs* we're starting to get used to him scratching his scratch post at 3 in the morning.

Do you like to take naps?  What is your take on the matter?  Comment below, I would love to hear from you.

7 comments:

  1. When I was younger, I did believe naps were only for babies and the elderly. Now, I find myself taking a nap every so often. If you're tired enough, or your body feels tired enough that you want to sleep, you should rest for a bit. Even if you only nap for a half hour, you'll still feel rejuvenated. Also, Percy is a normal cat. :P All cats love their sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are awesome aren't they? ;) I'm glad you can relate to what I'm saying then! I think people should deprive themselves of a nap if they feel tired and have the time to have a quick shut eye.

      Delete
  2. I prefer not to nap, but when I drink energy drinks, it kind of makes me nap without me having a choice. Anyways it is very informative, I have a new perspective of napping. Anyways I love this article, if I could give you a thumbs up I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes... the crash factor of energy drinks. My husband used to drink the 5 hour energy shots. He found out very quickly that those energy shots do not replace actual quality sleep. Thank you for your kind words. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice Article, but i don't tend to nap, it's just i don't feel sleepy, unless i really have to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearly lack of sleep is detrimental. Personally speaking, I drove a taxi for 10 years. Due to the high demand for a drive on weekends and holidays I found myself staying awake for days without sleep. I made money but I paid for it days later by passing out in my car for hours. That's one reason why I'm not interested in driving any more. So, generally speaking I feel sleep is a must. Naps throughout the day is helpful but limitations are needed to stay productive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are not getting enough sleep, and you have the time to nap, than go for it. In my experience napping gives you a boost in energy. You do feel groggy when you first wake up, but if you get up and move around you'll feel better right away.

    ReplyDelete