Tuesday, April 14, 2015

"We always vote for Democrats"

"We always vote for Democrats," My mom answered me when I asked her the question, are we Democrats or Republicans?  ...and as 3rd grader and a child, I knew better than to question my parents.  I was never told not to but I always KNEW that I should never ask why.  Now that I'm an adult though, I can't help but ask why.  ...and for the life of me, I don't know why children are discouraged from asking why whenever they didn't know the answer.

As a society WHY are children told to be quiet so often, to sit on their hands, and not to talk to their neighbors?  Why do we have to accept the way things are without explanation?  Why do we feel like we can't make a difference?  I spent about 2 hours today looking up articles and youtube videos of the presidential candidates of 2016 (and potential ones) and I think I am more confused now more than ever.

I've been registered to vote since I was 18 but I have never voted.  Gosh, would the women of the 1920's be so disappointed in me.  I've said excuses like "I never got around to it" or "I never had the time to go out and vote" but that's not really the truth is it?  I simply do not know what to vote for.

It's funny as a 3rd grader you don't know a whole lot let alone politics. I remember literally thinking I think I would vote for Bob Dole but I was afraid to say out loud because all of my classmates were saying Clinton (and back then I wanted to vote for Bob Dole because his name was easier to spell)!

Back in 2008 I was afraid to admit that Obama sounded like a good candidate for everyone around me were going for McCain.  Who wouldn't want change? Isn't it time for a change? Yes we can! What a great slogan.  *sighs* Two times now have I had the chance to vote but neglected to because I didn't want to be swayed by peer pressure and I was just downright scared to make a decision.

Well, 2016 needs to be different.  OK so I know a lot of people say that it's not going to make a difference who you vote for the system is rigged anyway but my thing is...if everybody thought this way, then why make believe that we are a democratic country?  We have the power to vote so why don't we?  I think it's because we've gotten so used to being told what to do, to sit on our hands, and to be quiet.

Oh but now I am more confused more than ever.  It seems like 75% of the information online is about why you should not vote for the candidates.  Who should we vote for?  There are no guarantees that what they say during the presidential race are exactly what they're going to do once they're in office.  As a matter of fact, which presidents actually went into office and did exactly what they promised?  I don't know the answers to these questions because I've remain stoic and indifferent when it comes to politics for I hated hearing the debates and arguments of people whenever politics became the subject of a conversation.  Well, I still got over a year left right? I still have time to educate myself the best I can in order to be prepared to exercise my right as an American and vote for the next President.

What about you - where do you stand with politics?

6 comments:

  1. Sharon, whether you admit or not, it's never a good thing to discuss politics in public.
    Anyway, do you really think a democratic country, is that different from a republican country?
    People go for momentary benefits rather than making a wise choice.
    I would like to say "read between the lines" there, as it isn't a good idea to criticize something outright.
    I am 21. So far, I made use of my "right to vote" two times. Each and every time I was disappointed with the outcome. So, I distanced myself from politics. I learned to do what I can, rather than hoping for a miracle.
    I love my people there is no doubt it but a single person can never change the world. It's a depressing statement but I need to live with that.
    That's my overview about politics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've made an interesting point Clara. I think people have a general misconception or use the terms too lightly to actually know the meaning of them. Technically the United States is a Republican country because people vote for the candidates they believe will represent their wants and needs. A true democracy is really when a group people have direct say on what does and doesn't happen. In my opinion a true democracy is impossible with a large nation such as the United States.

      Honestly, I used to feel like you not wanting to vote for the exact reasons you stated however... I want to vote because I do want to be involved in more political conversations but I don't think it would be right to complain or criticize certain actions of the government if I don't do my part and make my vote count. I also do not want to go in the voting booth blindly either. I want to have an educated decision on who to vote for and why and not so much why I shouldn't vote for any other candidate. It won't be because of the candidate's skin color or their gender but how they hold themselves in the political debates and what they've accomplished in their lives so far BEFORE they take a seat in the White House.

      Delete
  2. Well you know I'm not a political person at all and I have never voted because I felt that my vote wouldn't even count as well, but I will make a difference this year and vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Brit, that's how I felt as well... why should I vote if my vote won't even matter? I think it does matter and if we can formulate our opinions based on actual facts then we can in turn maybe influence other people around us to do the same and not just follow the crowd out of convenience.

      Delete
  3. Hello Sharon,
    This is a very interesting topic that you have created. I think a lot of people feel this way. I am not really into politics myself, but one thing I do know is not to vote for Hillary Clinton. Sure, we have never had a woman president in office but she doesn't root for religions she doesn't believe in any religion nor has she had any knowledge on running a military or country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hillary Clinton was the Secretary of State (typical determines US foreign policy) and was a senator (which in my understanding alongside with House of Representatives they make up Congress who are responsible for making laws). Other than that I do not know in depth what Hillary Clinton's credentials are and what makes her experienced in government. I see more people voicing why they won't vote for Hillary Clinton than I do with people saying they will. ...and for those that will, they are basing their decision on "it's time we have a female president." Which I think is a poor reason if that is the only thing they are basing their vote on. What has she done in the past to benefit our society? What achievements is she proud of? What kind of recognition did she receive in the past? I don't know the answer to these however until I learn more about her I'm not going to rule her out just like the other candidates. I'm curious to how they hold themselves in the political debates.

      Delete