Monday, April 13, 2015

What is your story?

I am confident that reading will spark my creativity.  After reading Louis Jenkin's "Just Above Water" I felt that feeling again - the one where I feel that have the ability to write.  In his book I imagine a man just writing exactly what he was thinking and THAT was enough to get published.  His writing seemed so simple, obvious, literal yet at the same time covered with metaphors.  There was one story in there called "The Skiff" which had wonder if in fact that was based on a true story. It intrigued me so much that I reached out the author himself and emailed him about it.  This was his response to my inquiry:

Sharon, 
Thank you for your note. I used to work as a fisherman on Lake Superior so I heard a lot of stories of the "old days". The poem, however, is not based on any one story, it's fiction, but I hope that it succeeds as a "true story." 
All best,
Louis Jenkins

That is the kind of writer that I want to be.  To write something and have someone wonder "Why?" or just simply wonder how I came about to writing what I wrote.  Truth is, we all have a story composed of many stories.  I haven't written anything fiction, poetry, prose... but I'm headed in that direction. I can feel it.  Until then, at the very least I'll always have my blog.

8 comments:

  1. As a writer myself; it would be a dream come true to have someone ask a question like that. To know that someone felt such a feeling after reading my work, that they did not realize it was my imagination. Amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. Back when I was really into writing poetry whenever someone would pick out a line and tell me what memories it triggered for them that in itself felt like a huge compliment. Writing is like music I think, the goal is to move people - make them feel something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think writing is very important to me, even though writing poetry wasn't in my interest, writing stories and small plays of my wildest imagination seemed more appealing. But creative writing falls in all genres such as poetry, stories, small articles, scripts. Etc etc. Iam very happy to see that you haven't lost that interest Sharon, keeping writing and hopefully I do the same lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will definitely try for now I am reading but hopefully sooner than later I will get back into the creativity world and create my own stories and writings. :)

      Delete
  4. I am glad you have found something you like to do. If you ever create a fiction book, I would like to be one of the first ones to read it and let you know how it is. Anyway, thank you for sharing with us this amazing blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will definitely get in touch with you if that ends up happening! ;)

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with John, I write books myself, even though I am very young, and it brings me great joy when I hear from my readers that they like my work, I swear, you made my day today, all of you, and this article :). Just making someone else happy makes me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the beauty of writing: all stories are stories within stories. There is no island unto itself. Ideas evolve to become better because they are dependent on other ideas. To be a writer, even a so-called "poor writer", is a gift of grace. It requires a deep look within in order to capture the essence of thought, organize it and then put it to pen and paper. That is why it is so important to support the arts. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

    ReplyDelete