Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Why I decided to take a break from Facebook?

It's 2 days into the month and I've already had 3 close calls in me opening Facebook.  It has become evident to me that Facebook had become integrated into my daily routine and I've decided that I did not like that.  Late August I decided to do a 30 day challenge of not logging on to Facebook.

My friend Isabela had challenged me a little while back for us not to get on Facebook for a week and at the time I thought the idea was absurd.  Why would I not log on to Facebook it's my primary way of staying in touch with friends and family. After that though I started to notice that I barely had any contact with my friends and family.  I gave the occasional comment on their posts and 'likes' but I never really had any conversations with anyone.  So that's when I decided September 1st I will be taking a break from Facebook.  I even announced it on my Timeline.  I had suggested that if anyone wants my phone number, email, or even mailing address they could send me a private message for my info.  Not one person did.

Facebook had ruined my social life.  There was a time in my life where I would wake up in the morning, look down at my phone and it would show me that I had 12 new text messages.  Those days are over it seems...it's time for me to reach out to my close family and friends and establish communications again.

I deleted Facebook from my iPad and my Blackberry.  I asked my husband if there was a way for me to block myself from the facebook website on my laptop.  He said there is a way he can block the site and require a password to access it but he said it's more important that I practice self control. *sighs* I guess this is why it's a challenge.

Dare I say it?  Am I a Facebook Addict?

5 comments:

  1. Not sure if my comment posted or not so I am typing it again.
    Good luck on your FB Challenge! I know you can do it! I was off of it for a month a few months ago due to some personal stuff that happened with some of my online friends. You'll see that it isn't that hard around the 15th. ;)
    I used to be a FB Addict but now I just don't care. LOL
    http://erinnicole.nu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not into facebook.So,I wouldn't really know it's effects.But it seems like you are about to take a big step in your life.Good luck with that :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no doubt that Facebook is often responsible for our shortcomings. Many of us tend to spend lots of time on Facebook, which means our day to day lives suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something that I cannot stand about social media is it is destroying our interpersonal communication. There was a time where us humans would actually talk with each other at dinner without the phone plastered to our faces, actually write letters and maybe talk face-to-face with others. However, I am glad you are taking strides to fixing this and being more social with face-to-face interactions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am about like you. I believe that I am a Facebook addict as well. I am not sure I would like to do the 30 day challenge. I have to get my daily Facebook fix and see what everyone is up to!

    ReplyDelete