Sunday, April 19, 2015

Delicious Mussels For Dinner!

I swear my blog is going to be more than about food and my pets.  Just bare with me please. lol  For now, I must talk about our amazing dinner tonight.  We went to Costco and bought 3 lbs of mussels for $12.71.  Gosh I remember when we used to go to Joe's Crab Shack and spent $9.99 on like 12 pieces of mussels!  It tasted so good!!! I will post my recipe below so you can try it if you like.  It is really simple to make seriously, the most time consuming part is cleaning it but it's not difficult at all.  You can serve this with bread on the side if you like.  We like to eat this with rice.  Brown rice is the healthier option of course but tonight our mussels were accompanied by white rice. 3lbs of mussels really is a lot for two people.  It should be shared with 3 people really in my opinion.  ...but Jared and I still killed it. lol

Ingredients:
3 lbs of Mussels
8 Cloves of Garlic (Pressed and Minced)
1 Cup - Italian Parsley (chopped)
2 tbsp of Butter
1 Medium Onion (Minced)
1 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
2 tsp of black pepper
2 cups - white wine
1/2 cup - all purpose flour

Instructions:
  1. Put the mussels in a large pot, cover it with water, and mix in 1/2 cup of all purpose flour.  (I don't know the science behind this but it is supposed to help clean the mussels!)  
  2. While it's soaking take this time to press your garlic and mince them (8 cloves is actually a lot you may consider putting less if you do not like your food too garlicky), chop your parsley, and mince the onion.  
  3. So going back to the mussels: You can use a special brush  if you have it but I literally just used my fingernails to scrape off any dirt clinging on to the outer shell.  (You want to run cold water over each shell as you clean them.  Remove any beard like in the picture my pinching and pulling on it until it rips off.  Discard any broken mussels or any that are already opened (they should all be tightly shut at this point).
  4. Rinse out your large pot and place it on your stove after turning your heat to medium-high melt your butter and saute your garlic and onion for about 1 minute then mix in your spices.
  5. Pour your cups of wine and bring to a boil.
  6. Mix in the mussels and cover with lid right away.
  7. After about a minute, secure the lid and give the pot a good shake.
  8. Cook for another three minutes.
  9. After that open the lid and gently stir all shells should be open at this point. 
  10. Serve this right away with rice or bread. Note: discard any mussels that are not open. Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Uh...not sure exactly what I'm looking at, lol. *Googles* I don't think I'd ever willingly eat clam. Who knows, maybe I'd end up loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol as I tell my friends all the time "don't knock it until you try it" ;)

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing guide to help people create some amazing mussels. I started eating mussels when I visited the local Magianos down the road and got almost 20 mussels for around $9. We will definitely keep this how-to guide in the bookmarks for creative recipes.

    ReplyDelete