Monday, April 20, 2015

Living Life VS Making a Living

I am in a unique situation, where I am able to focus on just doing what I love - as in hobbies and interests without being required to work or make a living as some would say.  I can't help but sit back and realize that all these years I've spent working I had allowed myself to get comfortable and let my work dictate how my everyday was going to be.  I no longer tried to do something different or interesting.

I started off being active in this blog thinking that in itself would be a motivation for me to the things I love as in reading, cooking, spending time with my dogs, etc.  However, it's not just that it's about me and living my life the way I choose to.  How many of us can say that we are truly living life the way we want to? Are we spending our time with those that we love the way we want to?  I don't want to lay somewhere one day and think "I should have spent more time with my friend and family" or "I wish I didn't work so much" or "I should been a better a friend".  It's so easy to get caught up with the everyday grind.

We hear it all the time to seize the day and live life to the fullest but seldom do we actually do it.  No more excuses.  I only have $3.93 in my wallet and I've got to say it's an amazing feeling to know that that doesn't matter.  My husband and I are not rich by any means but we are in a wonderful position.  After this venture in California we can literally go in any direction we want to.  That is an amazing feeling.

6 comments:

  1. Fortunately, you're one of the lucky ones. Most people out there are unable to focus on something they love. Instead, they have to focus on a career in order to make what they love happen, whether it be moving, whether it be having a family and providing, or what have you. Most people aren't spending their life as they want to. If it was our choice, I think most of us wouldn't work and would just spend all of our time with family, friends, girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/husband and actually take the time to enjoy life. I managed to get lucky only by draining myself and over doing it. During the day, I do my paid job, and by 5:30pm I'm on my way to my volunteer job working with animals, something I love. It is possible for people, depending on what it is, to do what they love, but it may come with costs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arariel,
      Thank you for your comment. I think that's wonderful that you enjoy volunteering your time doing something you love and that is working with animals. I think if everyone spent their time finding out what their true passion is there would be less trouble in our world. Society has shaped us to thinking we need to live one certain way but no one ever tell us to do what makes us happy, instead we are taught to seek out temporary pleasures to fill a void that can be easily filled with love and understanding. Some find it in friends, some in family, some in religion even - yet for most of us unfortunately are blinding by wants.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Sharon. That is an enviable and wonderful position to be in. Most of us talk about pursuing and exploring our inner most passions but we never do it. Yes, most people get trapped in the daily grind of earning a living and allowing that to dictate the essence of life. It is not life. It is only apart of life. And all of us (including those of us living in poverty) are still responsible for emerging into the people we are suppose to be. So I applaud you. I salute you for pursuing freedom. That is the way to helping humanity become a newer and better evolved breed of humans. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Baruti. I agree that most of us do not take the time to reflect and ask the important questions and to realize the important realizations. For most people I think they do not hit this point unless they've been in a near death experience, or have fallen ill with a severe sickness, or even when they hit a certain point of old age. I think it's important to encourage people to ask themselves "What will truly make you happy?" or "What is your passion?" a life trying to figure that out I think is more important than basing your life on being ok with not knowing.

      Delete
  3. Many people nowadays just make things randomly for a Living, which it's bad more than good, i do focus on the job itself, more than the Living, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post that should get one thinking. A lot of people nowadays focus way too much on money and their careers instead of doing what they actually should do. You have to work and make a living, but there is a balance between that and actually living.

    ReplyDelete