Saturday, April 4, 2015

French Afternoon Snack

I ordered two items from a local Monterey French bakery called Parker-Lusseau Pastries.  These two items I tried for the very first time: an Americano and a Pithivier.  An Americano from my understanding is a shot of espresso with hot water added to it.

We had a great time this weekend - we hung out with my brother David and sister-in-law Julie.  They introduced us to the French press which we will probably acquire some time soon because the coffee we had tasted really good.  It reminded me a lot of the Americano.

 Pithivier is pronounced (Pity-vee-eh) and it is a pastry with almond filling.  The shop attendant (maybe owner? I neglected to verify this) mentioned that rum was one of the ingredients as well. I could taste a hint of the rum but I imagine most of the alcohol evaporated during the baking process. The outside had a flakey consistency like a baklava but overall it wasn't as sweet as a baklava.  I enjoyed this afternoon dessert, will probably get it again some time.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that does sound delicious indeed. Alcohol-related sweets are a favorite of mine. I've put the pithivier on my 'to try someday' list. Is that a photo of the Americano and the pastry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sir! That is the actual pastry and the cup of Americano. =) Have you ever tried a rum cake from Jamaica? Oh man, that's another good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not tried this before. I actually don't know of anyone that makes these where I live. If I ever get to go to California, then I'll have to add this to my list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete