Monday, March 30, 2015

Car Detailing - Should I Tip?

This question came up when I decided to treat my husband and get his car detailed. I guess I could do it myself but why should I spend hours doing it myself and miss this blog opportunity? :)

With that being said I decided to go to El Estero Car Wash in Monterey, California.  I wish that I had taken a before and after picture because they really did a marvelous job.
I was bit weary because according to Yelp! they only have 2 and 1/2 stars out of 5.  Apparently in order to get the "full" detail package you must set up an appointment.  The advisor suggested that I do the express detail if I didn't want to wait.  Yep she hit the button I just wanted to get it over with.

It took about an hour for them to do the service. I was able to wait comfortably though because they offer complimentary hot organic coffee and wi-fi.

So to answer the question: Should I tip when I get a car detail and/or car wash?  My answer is yes. At the very least, leave a tip for good Juju. Yes it is expensive but these guys work all day outside cleaning your mess.  Does the price cover their wages? They probably do. However if you think about it, your little extra tip is capable of giving the workers the extra boost of enthusiasm to clean the next car ahead of you just like the person that left the tip before you.

Oh yes and here is a helpful hint - after getting your car detailed you will find that it is still damp.  The fastest way to dry out your interior (unless you have a fancy vacuum or blower thing) park your car under the sun and leave the doors open OR at least all windows about 1/3 down so the moisture can evaporate.

5 comments:

  1. I've never had my car's interior detailed, just its exterior washed at Delta Sonic. At the end they do some hand drying. Some people tip these people but I don't. This is also the time that they apply extra waxes, tire shines, body gloss, etc. I don't get that stuff so for me, all they do is dry my car. If I was to get the extra stuff then I would probably be more likely to tip them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can afford to tip them, sure, why not? It motivates them to offer quality services. But I don't blame people who don't tip, because sometimes the service is expensive enough, and not everyone can afford to indulge in tipping. Aren't they supposed to dry your car's interior too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had my car detailed. I've thought of it but I haven't done it. I like to tip people who do good work anyway. It doesn't matter if it is at a restaurant, car detailing service, etc. I always tip for good service. Some people live on these tips that you provide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always try to tip. I remember being a low level worker. Tips were my Friday night. Without $20 a week in them, I'd probably go to work on Saturday (which probably would've been better for me).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree, tipping is an absolute necessity! These guys work hard to spruce up our vehicles and they deserve a little extra. Dare I say that they are more deserving of a tip than a hairdresser who gets to work inside all day? Only my opinion, of course!

    Arlen Greenfield @ Clean Get Away

    ReplyDelete