Saturday, April 25, 2015

Beautiful Monterey, California

Monterey is such a beautiful city.  There was a gray overcast all day today however I couldn't help but still admire the surroundings.  I've lived here for for almost two months now and I can't help but still feel like a tourist.  There is definitely a lot of history in this city I'm taking my time with learning them all. John Steinbeck - famous American writer known for his works such as Of Mice and Men, Cannery Row, and many other titles lived in this area including Pacific Grove, Salinas, and Monterey.
I still have yet to master the art of parallel parking.  It amazes me how fearless some people can when parallel parking.  There can be literally be three cars behind them but they have no issues with pressing on the breaks and reversing into the empty spot.   In downtown Monterey you'd be lucky if you can secure one of the 1 hour parking spaces sometimes even luckier if you can score a 90 minute one!  I still find myself aiming for one of the 2 hour parking spots because:
a) They usually don't require me to reverse into a parking spot.
b) If I do want to parallel park there usually aren't any traffic on those sides of the streets so I can do and take my time.
c) The extra walk allows me to see more of the city!


My husband and I parked our car near the Art Museum decorated with large sculptures in its vicinity.  We walked down to Fisherman's Wharf and ate breakfast at a small but busy establishment called Crêpes of Brittany. We shared a fabulous savory crêpe which featured brie, salmon, and mushrooms.  Unfortunately we devoured the dish alongside our coffee before I could even take a picture of the dish! It was delicious!  The way I see Monterey... it's like a mini San Francisco.  It's not as crowded yet the feel of it is very close to San Francisco particularly in the Fisherman's Wharf area. 







2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful place to visit and get some writing done. I have not yet made it to that part of this country. I am planning a 3 month stay in the Northern area of California this year. According to your blog post Sharon, it seems that Monterey should be on my list for visits. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Baruti I also plan on visiting California, and this definitely looks like a good stop. Those pictures are pretty cool, did you take them yourself or just find them online?

    ReplyDelete